Saturday 4 January 2014

Pentax A 35-70 mm f4 zoom on NEX 6

This one has dwelt in my drawer for some time, and it wasn't until I read that it had a macro function that I decided to give it a try. In fact it will focus down to 0.25 m at a focal length of 70mm ( or 105 mm on the NEX). Here's the result, click for a larger image -



A pair of sweet pea pods about to release their seeds



An actual pixels crop

OK it's not going to replace your dedicated macro lens, nor even maybe your favourite prime on extension tubes, but it's not at all bad and the zoom does make framing easier.

Following this, I was encouraged to try the 35-70 against a collection of 50 mm primes at f8, and, while it didn't come top of the class, it wasn't at the bottom either! It's quite usable.

I also tested my Pentax 35-80 budget auto focus zoom, and that was dreadful!


No comments: