Thursday 30 December 2010

Tyneside Yesterday

I have sent my two autofocus zoom lenses off to Canon's workshop for a refit, and find myself relying on a collection of old manual focus glass for a couple of weeks. Being used to 24-70mm and 70-200mm zooms it isn't easy going back to discreet focal lengths. Add to that the need to swap my Olympus to Canon adapter between lenses in the bitter cold and I remember why photography has moved on to zoom lenses. That said, the image quality is not bad at all with this old glass, if anything the corner to corner sharpness is better, but the contrast is a bit down and the colours not seeming so bright.

The light was pretty poor, the prediction was for fog, and I had hoped to take some interesting through the fog shots, but there was no fog, just grotty flat light. Having made my excuses, here are the pictures: -



Melting snow left this interesting pattern on the quayside. (Olympus 50mm f1.4)



The one redeeming feature was the lack of wind, giving rise to perfect reflections.



How many times has this been taken?



High class graffiti behind the Sage in Gateshead. (Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f2.4)

No comments: